Monday, February 15, 2010

Method 7

I have created a delicious account for one of my libraries. Mostly, I made it to try it out and to remember great sites that I wanted to share with the students. However, I didn't really know about all of the great things that I could have been doing this whole time! Like, reading other people's comments about websites to really help identify good sites, or exploring other people's links to really identify the great sites. I will definitely start doing this with my delicious account. I think I would also like to create a tag cloud to post onto my unofficial website. I think this would be a great way to get students to better information. Eventually, I would love to see all catalogs using tags...the LCSH are and aren't the most user-friendly.

I think a delicious account would be extremely beneficial at my other library because it would allow all the librarians to participate in website collection development in a very timely manner...as soon as we find a great site, we can add it to our delicious page. Plus, when we find a broken link, we can immidiately repair it! I think it would be a great addition to our more static hot links page. Plus! We can add class specific tags and advertise them in our LibGuides! OMG! AWESOME!! I am sold.

They have something similiar from Springshare called LibMarks - I think I might have to start testing that too!

I think it can be a very cool, easy tool for libraries to help their patrons find the best online resources. Many of us do this already on our websites...but using delicious can really help involve all the librarians, keep it updated on a much more regular basis, and help find other relevant sites. Also, the tags can really help patrons find what they need.

I already have an account, and have already setup the toolbar feature - which saves so much time.

In other news...
I keep hearing about LibraryThing...maybe I will set up my other library with LibraryThing as an alternative to our not so awesome catalog...

No comments:

Post a Comment