Monday, January 11, 2010

Methods 1 & 2

What are your thoughts regarding Web 2.0 and Library 2.0?
I think libraries should be more aggressive about using Library 2.0/Web 2.0 technologies...mostly, the free stuff. I think that Library 2.0/Web 2.0 is a great (and easy) way to connect with patrons (especially the twenty-somethings, teens, and tweens). I think it is also great for advertising - Tweet about a new program, blog about new arrivals, post storytime videos on YouTube, update Facebook with library emergency closures, update your webpage with RSS feeds from your blog, create a virtual book shelf for patrons on Shelfari, etc. It can replace paper pathfinders, create more user friendly/interactive catalogs, and make the library a much more accessible place for patrons who are comfortable with technology (text your librarian with your ref questions). It also makes collaboration over any distance much easier. I love Library 2.0/Web 2.0 and I can't wait to use it.

What do the terms mean to you? To your library? Or libraries in general?
When I think of Web 2.0 I think of the social networking sites/programs that are currently in use (such as Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Wikis, Meebo, LibraryThing, Shelfari, etc). I think of the possibilities of using these tools to make life easier. When I think of Library 2.0 I think of how the library can use Web 2.0 to make life easier for the employees and the patrons. Both of my libraries currently use Meebo for reference. One of my libraries uses a blog for communicating with patrons (advertising) and the other uses a blog for in-house communication. I know one of the academic institutions I work for has created a facebook page. I think that libraries in general are getting on board. I've seen more Myspace pages for libraries and librarian groups on Facebook. I think that most libraries think along similiar lines. I think they may look at the amount of effort/time that goes into creating/maintaining these tools and make the point that these tools are not absolutely free...but I would argue that these tools take less time/energy/money than creating press releases or newsletters, etc. I think I might be rambling now...so...until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment