Thursday, January 14, 2010

Method 3

While I was reading everyone's articles on the Cloud, I kept wondering about copyright. What happens if one of these third parties decides that anything published online through them or hosted with them is now owned by them? For example, Facebook owns your content forever... I think that the changing of Service Agreements was mentioned, but I think that should have gotten much more coverage. That's huge. They could stop their service on your account at their discretion without warning. But, I am an avid Sci-Fi fan...so I might just be a little too wary of certain things.
Another point that really hit home was from the Shifted Librarian. She had mentioned that children need more instruction in technology. I totally agree. I try to make it a point to use false information with most of my online accounts (see the above statement about being an avid Sci-Fi fan), but kids might not realize that things they put online could come back years down the road. For example, during an instruction session recently, we talked about how employers might check Facebook and MySpace pages of potential/current employees. Many of the students were surprised.
However, I am still excited to use the Cloud! I just posted my first folder and file on Google Docs and sent it to someone who I'm working with on a project who lives 5 hours away! How cool is that? She can edit it and add her own files. I have never used Google Docs or Zoho before (though I have heard a lot about both of them). I think they are great! They are super easy to use and awesome for collaboration. I will definitely be using them in the future professionally, but probably not for personal things.

No comments:

Post a Comment